Let us do the hard work. Subscribe and each podcast episode will come to you: https://bit.ly/2NZjODA
Influence – Robert Cialdini: https://amzn.to/2ITaRtf
Enjoy the Episode – Happy Marketing!
The communications mix and the marketing mix are two very different things, but they are also intertwined, which we’ll find out about later on.
First, let’s meet Victoria Doxat, a copywriter who specialises copy, – or should that be content…… Victoria will explain the difference in a minute – for B2B clients ranging from entrepreneurs and SMEs, to large corporations. It takes a special kind of person to be able to go deep into topics that others may find boring and turn them into readable and valuable content, but Victoria does this by producing articles, case studies and even white papers and is anything but boring.
Oh, Victoria is also a Philosophy Lecturer, as you do, with all that free time, because copywriting is easy, right?
– So it seems there is a bit of a difference between content and copy. Victoria explained that copy aims to sell something, whereas content provides the audience with the information they need to make a valid decision….. but is there a real difference? I’ll let you decided. As long as it has good intentions, it’s all good for me.
– There are some tips that Victoria kindly shared with us that can be used in most writing situations. Including Marketing Assignments:
– Write for a specific purpose and remember this (always have the brief, task or question in from of you)
– Use headings and structure to make your writing easy to follow and a basis for the main topics you want to cover
– Then , do your research – research the simple things first. Remember Google is your friend for this in most instances
– Start to slot your findings under each appropriate heading
– And finally, once you have done this, you can start to structure your assignment or content and make it readable. This doesn’t have to be done until the other steps are complete, so don’t think you have to get it right first time or that it can’t change later on. It’s a process, not carved in stone.
– When writing assignments or in an exam, make sure you are making it interesting and don’t be afraid to get creative. We’ve heard this before but it’s worth reiterating – Remember who is reading your content and make sure it resonates with them, but in our own language, our tone, so it is undeniably yours.
Top Tip – The Comms Mix and Marketing Mix Confusion
This is a very brief, but massively important tip and its about, what so many do without noticing it and this is confusing the Extended / Digital Marketing Mix (7P’s) with a Marketing Communication Mix.
Now they are intrinsically linked and you cant have one without the other, but in short:
Extended / Digital Marketing Mix = 7Ps. Covering all elements such as price and people which we have been discussing on the previous eight episodes (no I haven’t gone mad, one was a round-up of the 7P’ s).
Marketing Communications Mix = Is part of the Promotional element of the 7Ps. Think of this as the elements that your consumers actually see and are engaged by – the tip of the marketing mix iceberg – your content, communication channels and calls to action if you like.
Don’t get the two mixed up or confused. The world won’t end, but I’m not prepared to try it to see if it would!
Music Featured on this Podcast:
Sleepy in the Garden
Lobo Loco www.musikbrause.de
Creative Commons License